Find Mass Money allows citizens in the state of Massachusetts to search for unclaimed property or check the status of an unclaimed property claim. The service is free to use and is operated by the Massachusetts Office of the State Treasurer.
To use the Find Mass Money search will need to provide their Last Name or the Name of a Business or for a more advanced provide the First Name and/or a City/Town or the exact name of the Massachusetts citizens. Unclaimed property as defined by the state of MA is defined as “any financial asset with no activity by its owner for an extended period of time”.
Unclaimed Property Does Include:
- Savings accounts & checking accounts
- Unpaid/claimed wages
- Stocks & binds
- Business overpayments
- Credit balances
- Lost money orders
- Paid-up life insurance policies
- Storage boxes
- Unused gift certificate
Unclaimed Property Does Not Include:
- Raw land
- Real estate
Find Mass Money unclaimed property is designed to unite property owners with their lost funds and relieve holders of liability. The Find Mass Money website is authorized under the Massachusetts Unclaimed Property Act, Chapter 200A of M.G.L. Property is considered to be “unclaimed” when the owner of the assets has not been reached in 3 years or 15 years which is the case with traveler checks.
Other Mass Unclaimed Property Info
- Any and all questions can be directed to the Unclaimed Property Division 617-367-0400 or 1-800-647-2300
- The Massachusetts General Fund is updated once a year but a citizen can make a claim at any point in the year
Funds will earn interest until claimed
- From time to time the Treasurer and Receiver General of Massachusetts will list the names of unclaimed property in local newspapers
- Most claims will take about 12 weeks to process
- Citizens will have to verify a SSN through a Drivers License, Social Security Cards, Tax Records, Pay Stub containing a social security number
Stock claims and other financial investments may take longer to process due to the need to issue a new stock certificate. The stock claim may take up to 30 days or longer.
Quick Services Links: