Want to know your DNA story? You can easily know your story by 23andMe, a genetic-testing service. The name 23andMe refers to the fact that human DNA is organized into 23 pairs of chromosomes. 23andMe connects individuals to their unique, paired set of 23 chromosomes.
If you have orderd a test kit from their Health + Ancestry or Ancestry services, when you receive your test kit in the mail,then you will need to follow kit instructions to spit in the tube provided and mail it back to their lab, meanwhile register your kit in order to link it to your 23andMe account online. Registration connects the barcode on your saliva sample to your account so they know your sample belongs to you. The lab cannot process your sample if it is not registered.
How to Register Your Test Kit
1. Go to www.23andme.com/start to register it.
2. Enter your email address, first and last name and birthdate.
3. A verification email will be sent to the email address provided.
4. Set your password and security questions for your 23andMe account.
5. Enter the barcode found on the collection tube within test kit and select “you” as user of the kit; confirm info.
7. Select“Submit”to complete registration.
8. You will immediately receive a registration confirmation email.
9. Once your registration is complete, you may be prompted to answer several more questions to complete your profile.( you can skip this step )
In approximately 6-8 weeks, you’ll receive your reports through a password-protected account at 23andme.com, and you’ll have access to additional web-based
tools and features.
23andMe is a privately held personal genomics and biotechnology company based in Mountain View, California. Its saliva-based direct-to-consumer genetic testing business was named Invention of the Year by Time magazine in 2008.
Founded by Anne Wojcicki, Linda Avey, Paul Cusenza in 2006, 23andMe launched its Personal Genome Service a year later. 23andMe’s mission is to help people access,
understand and benefit from the human genome.The company currently employs well over 300 people and ships its product to more than 50 countries worldwide.